Saturday, February 27, 2016

OSCAR PREDICTIONS---FOR BETTER OR WORSE


CELEBRATE ART, NOT POLITICAL ISSUES....................



FIRST, I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT THE ACADEMY AWARDS SHOWS SHOULD BE TO CELEBRATE ART--GREAT PERFORMANCES, WRITING, SCORE, EDITING, WHAT-HAVE-YOU.

IT IS NOT, NOT, NOT THE APPROPRIATE PLACE TO TURN INTO A POLITICAL FOOTBALL. PRESENTERS SHOULD BE BOOKED BECAUSE OF WORK, NOT COLOR. NOMINEES AND WINNERS SHOULD BE PICKED ON MERIT. I KNOW OF NO OSCAR VOTER WHO WOULD EVER NOT VOTE FOR SOMEONE BECAUSE OF RACE, RELIGION, SEXUAL IDENTITY, ETC.

AND ABOUT TAKING AWAY VOTING PRIVILEGES IF YOU'RE OLDER AND HAVEN'T WORKED IN TEN YEARS.... CAN YOU IMAGINE SAYING TO BILLY WILDER (IF HE WERE STILL HERE)--"SORRY, BILLY, YOU'RE TOO OLD TO UNDERSTAND TALENT SO YOU CANT VOTE?"

ART KNOWS NO COLOR. I'M AFRAID I'M GOING TO BE VERY DISAPPOINTED AND UPSET IF THIS SHOW DERAILS INTO A RACE-WAR AND SPEECHES ABOUT DIVERSITY AND NUMBERS. AND, I KNOW I CAN ALWAYS TURN IT OFF. I BET THE PUBLIC WILL, TOO.

BUT, FOR NOW, LET'S CELEBRATE THE WORK AND HOPE THINGS TURN OUT WELL.

BEST PICTURE: WINNER-THE REVENANT

Well, I tried to watch THE REVENANT, and I lasted 40 minutes. It was too raw and violent for me. It had the most momentum going into the voting period

The Big Short-----How can a movie be intense and boring at the same time?

Bridge of Spies------This was just boring

Brooklyn-------Loved, loved, loved this movie. Too real and good to win

Mad Max: Fury Road------I confess, I didn't see it I heard it was terrific

The Martian-------Really enjoyed it a lot. It's just not a Best Picture 


The Revenant----------See above comment

Room-------Very unusual and good movie. I put off watching it for a long time. I'm glad I saw it

Spotlight----------Important subject. I found it talky and slow



BEST ACTOR: LEONARDO DI CAPRIO

People feel he has waited long enough. He's winning no matter what. REVENANT was a tough role and hard shoot. It's easier to win an Oscar if you get beat up and ravaged in your role.

All the rest below were wonderful. There's just nothing they could do this year about it.
My pick would have been Eddie Redmayne for his work. That was the most difficult role to play. Bad timing, Eddie. You would have been two for two.

  
Bryan Cranston Trumbo, Matt Damon, The Martian, Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant, Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs and Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl.   


BEST ACTRESS:  BRIE LARSON 

She really deserves it. It was a real break-out performance.

My pick would have been either Saorise Ronan or Charlotte Rampling. You can't always get what you want. 

Cate Blanchett, Carol, Brie Larson, Room, Jennifer Lawrence, Joy, Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years and Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn


BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: SYLVESTER STALLONE

And why not? It's fine with me. He never got his due for ROCKY and he's been the underdog for years. Time to celebrate. 

As for the other nominees----they were all fantastic. It just doesn't matter this year.



BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: ALICIA VIKANDER

She's the "it" girl this year, and her "it" is going to last a long time. Look for more Oscar wins for her in the next few years

SONG---PLEASE GIVE IT TO GAGA AND DIANE WARREN!!!!

 

No comments: