Sunday, December 8, 2019

BOMBSHELL AND MARRIAGE STORY REVIEWS



                THIS IS AN ODD PAIR TO REVIEW  TOGETHER!




BOMBSHELL    



Riveting, relevant, remarkable.  This is the movie about the sexual harassment at Fox News and it pulls no punches. Charlize Theron IS Megyn Kelly. It's jaw-dropping. This is no "Judy" performance where you never forget it's Renee Zellweger "acting" as Judy. From the moment Charlize came on the screen, I truly thought I was watching  Megyn Kelly. This performance elevates the race for an Oscar. Nothing is a foregone conclusion now.

Nicole Kidman nails Gretchen Carlson...just nails it. It's a very nuanced performance that takes the plastic out of the real Gretchen to show the humanity behind the scenes.

And, we must not forget about Margot Robbie. Her performance is also phenomenal, particularly in two jaw dropping scenes. And, boy is she a luminescent star. Supporting Oscar nom coming.

John Lithgow as Rogers Ailes is also incredible. He shows us this detestable man, and, yet, we see shades of a sick, pitiable human.

I loved this movie.






MARRIAGE STORY    


Let me say that I have never been a fan of writer-director Noah Baumbach. I find his movies endless and depressing, and it's not a way I like to spend my time. I watched it because of the rave reviews for Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver. It's about the unraveling of a marriage, and it does show the multi-layered sides of indecision and love that still remains. I do think it's the best movie he's ever done. That being said, I had to push myself to sit through it, because it just wasn't a trip I wanted to be on.

But, But, But--you should see the masterful performances of Scarlett and Adam. Here come two more Oscar nominations, and Scarlett will give Charlize and Renee a run for their money. Adam Driver, who is this year's "it boy," is extraordinary. His scene near the end in a nightclub will not be forgotten. That was a genius idea on Noah's part.

Azhy Robertson as the son is wonderful, and there are so many great performances from Alan Alda, Merritt Wever, Wallace Shawn, and Julie Haggerty.

It's interesting. The more I reflect back on this movie, the more I appreciate it.


                      










No comments: