Thursday, December 4, 2014

BILL COSBY----MY OPINION AND STORY









WHEN I WAS AT THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER as columnist and TV editor, I gave a Cosby special a bad review. I didn't think it was funny (among other things). The morning the review came out, I was at my office desk and my phone rang. It was Bill Cosby calling me. He was nasty, threatening and scary. No celebrity has ever treated me like that, and, today, he is still the only one who ever did. And, a couple of times after that phone call when I ran into him he just glared at me. Very unnerving.

Some months later, I was visiting NBC, and I was with another big star--a woman. As we walked down the hall and saw his dressing room, she reeled back and was hesitant to enter. She told me she didn't want to go say hello because there had been an incident with him were she (her words) "was pushed up against a wall and fought for her life to escape." Thank God, she did escape and got away with just some bruises and nothing else.

I heard a similar story from another actress at a different time. The whispered words among the actresses were--never be alone with Bill Cosby.

A few years ago I was seated with Bill at a charity dinner and there was nothing I could do about it. It was an important dinner, and the guest of honor was at our table. Bill and I looked at each other, and I knew he couldn't mis-behave in front of the honoree. It was a uncomfortable evening to say the least.

Am I happy that these stories are coming out finally? Yes. Do all of them have 100% total proof that would stand up in court today? No. But, in my opinion, anyone who things they aren't true is someone who'd go to a hardware store for apples. If Bill does go to trial, ( primarily impossible because of limitations statutes) he'd better hope I'm not on the jury. And after this blog, I'm sure I won't be.

No comments: