Thursday, July 27, 2017

THE BUCKET LIST ITALY TRIP



I LOVE ROME AND VENICE, AND I FELT IT WAS TIME TO SEE FLORENCE, TUSCANY AND THE ITALIAN RIVERA

FLORENCE: It is as majestic and historic as you would imagine. Everywhere you look is some incredible part of history. In July, it is also filled with smoke, tourists, car fumes, and high temperatures.


This made it worth everything



Church across the street my my Hotel De Ville
I enjoyed the "all mass, all the time" presence. Even that cardinal of Florence came by for a visit.



Hotel De Ville--very well run

Dinner at Cantinetta Antinori, run by the Antinori Family, using all food from their farms. Best meal in Florence.

Frescoes, frescoes

TUSCANY:  IT WILL NOT DISAPPOINT YOU. IT REALLY LOOKS LIKE EVERY PHOTO OR PAINTING YOU'VE EVER SEEN. IT IS STILL......STILL......STILL. LIFE MOVES AT ONE MPH. No matter how beautiful, it was not for me. I checked it off my list and was happy I saw it.

See what I mean? A painting/photo.

My bedroom at Villa Curina, a breathtaking villa in Chianti. I urge everyone to stay there.

My living room

Villa Curina main building

Drink and dream
Villa Curina pool


SIENNA: Also in Tuscany. It's totally worth seeing. Per usual, everything is around the center square, and the church and duomo are beautiful.


My favorite photo

This is a tiny, picturesque restaurant in Castelnuovo

Needless to say, I drove to almost every Tuscan town there was.



SANTA MARGHERITA/PORTOFINO: Now THIS I liked. Even though it wasn't Venice, thoughts of DEATH IN VENICE poured through my head as I checked into Grand Hotel Miramare in Santa Margherita. There was enough marble and gold to turn me into Dirk Bogard. I loved this town.

View from my room


Lunch or cocktails


Rear gardens


Breakfast


Sidetrip to Portofino for drinks at Hotel Splendido. A glass of wine coast $80

Splendido pool

GOT OUT OF ITALY AND ESCAPED TO NICE. I LOVE FRANCE MORE THAN ANYTHING. THANK YOU, NICE, AND HOTEL NEGRESCO.





No comments: