Sunday, August 6, 2017

DUNKIRK, THE MOVIE--YES, NO, MAYBE?


DUNKIRK IS HOLLYWOOD'S DARLING RIGHT NOW. ALL YOU HEAR IS OSCAR, OSCAR, OSCAR...AND I'M SURE IT WILL WIN SOME.



To be fair, I am not a fan of war movies. I remember my mother forcing me to sit and watch an old movie called "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" when I was a child. I was terrified. I don't find war movies to be entertainment. A possible exception could be SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, just because the character development was so strong that you really felt connected.

DUNKIRK is not entertainment at all. It's a history lesson with tremendous direction and images by Christopher Nolan. There is very little dialogue. You barely know who anyone is. It is well-made in that you are tense and upset the entire time, which, I guess, is what a war movie should do to an audience. Will you be moved? In my opinion, not very.

Christopher Nolan


I also have to say, that the score by Oscar winner Hans Zimmer, was extremely screechy, obtrusive, and annoying. When your attention is taken off a movie plot because you are distracted by the music.....that's a problem. It happened repeatedly to me.

The movie stars Fionn Whitehead as the young soldier trying to get home. He is a wonderful find. Kennth Branagh, Mark Rylance, Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy are terrific, as well as every single unrecognizable face playing a soldier. Without much dialogue, and no backstory, it is hard to muster up a true caring. I'd best describe it as "generic caring."

Fionn Whitehead


If you're interested in the Academy Awards race, go see it to be informed.


No comments: