Tuesday, December 18, 2018

I'M MOVIE-BINGING, AND, SO FAR, NOT SO GOOD



NOW IS THE TIME OF YEAR WHEN THE ACADEMY DVDS COME ROLLING IN. WE ALL SPEND HOURS AND HOURS WATCHING. I'M ONLY GOING TO TALK ABOUT TWO TODAY--



ROMA---It has won most of the film festivals and has about 23 nominations from various organizations. Reviewers are raving and raving. Well, I HATED IT. So did the person I saw it with. This one I saw in a theatre and I asked the manager what the REAL response has been from the public. He said that 50% hate and 50% love, and they experience walk-outs at every showing. Every once in a while Hollywood gets a case of "The Emperor's New Clothes." A couple of pseudo-intellectual critics start a rave, or a pseudo-snobby European festival starts the momentum, and then God forbid if you don't go along. Well, I'm not.
I looked at my movie buddy about an hour in and said, "Do you have ANY idea what's going on?" "No," she answered. So we waited. And, waited. When it was over, we were stunned and just stared at each other in shock.

"What on earth was that?"





BOY ERASED---Wonderful direction (although at times it was so dark I wanted to find a flashlight). Wonderful acting. Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman, and Lucas Hedges are the "top of the top." BUT THIS IS A TV MOVIE! I've seen the same plot at least four times over the past 30 years on TV. If you get an a-list cast, you can make this a theatrical movie. That's it.

Same plot over and over again through the years.Preacher's son is gay. Preacher hates it. Weak mom tries to help. Kid goes to conversion camp. Hates it. Mom rescues. Preacher mad. Kid becomes successful. Father apologizes. Done. Why did I spend two hours on this?
Answer--for the acting.

No comments: