Sunday, February 24, 2019

THE OSCARS DON'T NEED A HOST EVER AGAIN





CONGRATULATIONS TO THIS YEAR'S PRODUCERS--DONNA GIGLIOTTI AND GLENN WEISS. YOU DID A GREAT JOB UNDER VERY TRYING CIRCUMSTANCES.





FYI--There was a very strong yet secretive behind-the-scenes campaign this year by persons and organizations to make sure that blacks won as many Oscars as possible. It wasn't talked about in the open, but it was happening. With movies like BEALE STREET, BLACK PANTHER, AND BLACK KKKLANSMAN, it was hardly needed. I loved every one of those movies. And, yes.....they won multiple Oscars.

If ROMA was named Best Foreign Film, I knew that it might not win Best Picture. Honestly, I was expecting Panther or KKKlansman for the upset. When it turned out to be GREEN BOOK, I, and the whole party room jumped up and screamed with joy. It's so wonderful to see what should be BEST Picture get Best Picture.

Same with Olivia Colman--jumps and screams. She deserved it by far. That business of "It's Glenn Close's turn" sickens my stomach. Remember when Elizabeth Taylor won an Oscar for Best Tracheotomy--oops---I mean BUTTERFIELD EIGHT? Julie Andrews, who should have been in MY FAIR LADY won the next year for whatever? I guess it was her turn. I love Julie and Elizabeth, by the way.)




To have GREEN BOOK and OLIVIA COLMAN win, restored my faith in genuine recognition of talent instead of PR campaigns.








I'm sorry, but, as Lucie Arnaz said, Glenn Close showed up looking like she was wearing Carol Burnett's GONE WITH THE WIND curtains. She's a wonderful actress and deserves an Oscar. I hope the Academy won't wait so long like they did with Debbie Reynolds where she was too old to come get her honorary one. I'll never forget that moment when I was at Debbie's table that night and she was home in bed. We were all heartsick.

It was a really good night. Bette Midler, Jennifer Hudson, Queen and Adam Lambert , and Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper killed.

But how did you feel that the "classic stars brought back as presenters" turned out to be Julia Roberts and Barbra Streisand??? How old did that make YOU feel???

And---we all understand that the Oscar show desperately needs to appeal to younger viewers. Therefore, they had younger presenters. Only one problem----

NO ONE AT THE PARTY HAD ANY IDEA WHO 50% OF THE PRESENTERS WERE!!!!????  ( I did, but that's my job. I also didn't care about seeing any of them except Amandla Stenberg.)

Hey, Academy---you cry out diversity! Well, how about diversity in ages, too?

Yes, I won the ballot pool at the party, but only by one vote. Kudos to the hostess who came in second:)


CODA: Just heard Spike Lee was bitching back stage that he didn't win Best Picture. It would have been fine with me if he had. But hey, buddy, you did win an Oscar, and you've been very vocal against the Academy and in some cases, downright insulting. Take your statue and go home.


No comments: