Sunday, November 10, 2019

PAIN AND GLORY---PARASITE---OSCAR! OSCAR!



PAIN AND GLORY AND PARASITE ARE TWO MOVIES EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT FOR OSCARS.

I haven't seen JOJO RABBIT yet, but I will any second.



PAIN AND GLORY


 I love the director Pedro Almadovar. Every time I see one of this films and I'm transported, moved, surprised, and my life view is changed. He's simply remarkable at innermost journeys of the soul and psyche.  PAIN AND GLORY is his latest, and the same thrills happened to me. All of his movies are personal, and in this one, Antonio Banderas plays an Almodovar-like director-writer, and Penelope Cruz, plays his mother. I don't want to ruin it for you. Just know it is about aging and reflecting on one's life. I adored it. I haven't stopped thinking about it for days.


PARASITE

It won the Cannes Film Festival and I can certainly see why. This film is for real film buffs who love foreign films. It's a cross between Roman Polanski's REPULSION and MEET THE FOCKERS. I say that to get your attention. It's about class struggle. It starts with a portrait of a very poor family, moves into a brilliant comedy and subterfuge, and then explodes. I won't say anymore. But, I will add that many, many of the shots were cinematic genius. The frames should be individually hung in a museum. It was written and directed by  ‎Bong Joon-ho, an extraordinary filmmaker. The film is in Korean with English subtitles. Run to the theatre. It will be the highest-grossing foreign film of the year. This one is haunting my dreams.




No comments: