Wednesday, November 26, 2014

MEMPHIS---PART TWO




I HAD NEVER BEEN TO MEMPHIS BEFORE. I KNEW ABOUT GRACELAND, BEALE STREET, MARTIN LUTHER KING'S MURDER, AND ST. JUDE.

WELL, MARTIN LUTHER KING WON OUT OVER GRACELAND IN MY LIMITED TIME THERE.

 I had only two hours in between events. It was already pitch black out. I asked the cabbie to take me to the Lorraine Motel. It is out of the main part of town, and when he dropped me off, I was the only person around standing in the "Midnight" air, surrounded by mist. It was eery, and like I was the only person in the world and on another planet. All I could see from the corner was the illuminated sign.
When I went around the back I saw where the actual shooting took place. Nothing had been changed.
Again, I was the only person there. It was so scary and sad at the same time. I couldn't linger because my mind was forming pictures of the past.








Fortunately, a block away is Central BBQ, the best BBQ in Memphis because it's filled with locals, not tourists. There I sat, still alone, but enveloped in the juke box, ribs, etc....again back in time.





The No. 1 hotel in Memphis is the Peabody, famous for its ducks that parade around the lobby fountain twice a day. I knew I'd already missed the parade, but I wanted to see the hotel because I am a hotel freak for traditional, legendary hotels. I was not disappointed. Back in time once more.

Beautiful entrance

They are very serious about their duck theme


Wanna buy a duck glass?
I want to live in this lobby


It's two blocks long, filled with great blues clubs and touristy restaurants.  



At the Memphis Airport. This is the first thing you see when you land, and the last thing when you leave. God Bless, St. Jude

No comments: