Sunday, December 20, 2015

DEBBIE REYNOLDS FINALLY GETS HER OSCAR






SHE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THIS AWARD YEARS AGO, AND YOU CAN'T IMAGINE HOW HEART-BREAKING IT WAS TO SIT IN THE AUDIENCE AT DEBBIE'S TABLE KNOWING SHE WAS TOO ILL AT HOME TO RECEIVE IT AND GET ALL THAT ADULATION.

WHY DOES THE ACADEMY WAIT SO LONG???? WHY ARE THEIR RECIPIENTS MANY TIMES SO SICK THAT THEY CAN'T EXPERIENCE THAT MOMENT THEY HAVE LONGED FOR IN PERSON. DEBBIE'S NAME HAS COME UP FOR THE HONORARY OSCARS FOR YEARS AND YEARS. DAMN IT!

On the grateful front, at least she got it and at least she can be at home and hold it. She IS very happy, and it's fun to get a phone call from her saying, "Wanna come over and play with my Oscar?"

Also, I was so touched that Debbie and her family invited me to join them at their table on the night of the event. In addition to the family, Zoey Deschanel was there to sing "Tammy." She did a lovely job, but our tears couldn't be stopped. I was seated across from Kevin Huvane, Meryl Streep, and Jane Fonda. That helped as a distraction from the bittersweet evening. Meryl and Jane were there to present the award to Debbie, and it was accepted by Billie Lourd, Debbie's beautiful granddaughter.

Todd Fisher



I said to Meryl, right after dinner was served, "Do you mind if I tell you I love you before I finish my fish?" Kevin howled with laughter. Meryl laughed but then put her hand on her heart and said, "If someone tells me they love me, I always take it seriously." We then chatted about Women in Film, an organization I co-founded. She was most interest in the true history.

As for Jane, I struck up a conversation about terrorist attacks. It went better with the dessert.

Many Oscar nominee hopefuls go to the Governors Ball to subtly campaign for votes just by showing their support. It was a field day on the red carpet.


Billie Lourd
Carrie and Meryl
Rooney Mara







       

No comments: