Tuesday, December 19, 2017

IT'S A MAD, MAD, WORLD WITH JOELY FISHER



     ON THE ROAD WITH JOELY................


Ever since I saw Joely do the lead in "Anything Goes" (opposite David Schwimmer) at Beverly Hills High, I have waited for her to put a nightclub act together. I am a very patient person. Yes, she's done Broadway and national tours, plus zillions of charity one-offs, but I wanted to see "that act."

I got my wish. We did shows in Los Angeles, Palm Springs, San Diego, and San Francisco in FIVE days. I have been going to Las Vegas to see friends do their acts for decades. Frequently they have asked me for help in putting the act together, help with lighting, songs, etc. I would come in for a couple of days and then go home. I had never gone from city to city to city to city to city. This was the real deal, with my doing tech for every show. Late nights, early flights, sound checks on the fly....normal touring. I had a ball, and I'm also in bed now. Actually, I've been in bed for three days now. I am soooooo tired.


Joely's act was more like a play/one woman show with song. She set her book, "Growing Up Fisher" to music. Her stage was set with props of hers, her sister, Carrie's, and other important things. And they, including the furniture, had to go from city to city!

CATALINA JAZZ CLUB


Rehearsal

Carrie gave Joely all of these bottles labeled Pain, Pity, Shame, Abuse, Anxiety, Shame, etc. The shoes are from "Cabaret."

Joely's original "Cabaret" costume

Jars on the table are labeled Wellbutrin and Uppers. On the lower shelf is The Fishbowl, which is what Joely call her and her sisters' lives













Mother and daughter---so beautiful
Fosse Star Dancer and actress Sandahl Bergman, Beverly Hills Commissioner' Sandy Pressman, Connie, and the inimitable Frances Davis
Myself, Connie Stevens, and Joely



My friend Naushaba with Margie Duncan, who was Debbie Reynolds' best friend, and she ran DR Studios.

Jane Monheit and Joely


Another thing that was so extra special for Joely and me, was so see all Debbie Reynolds, truly closest people--Margie, Donald Light and Dorian Hannaway representing Debbie at Joely's opening. Debbie would have been so happy.

Thank you Manny and Catalina!


THE PURPLE ROOM IN PALM SPRINGS


So many friends were there including David Styne, Joely's childhood boyfriend, Lucie Arnaz, Larry Luckinbill, Debbie Green, Barbara and Bernie Fromm, Jay Jones, Dick Taylor, Kayla Pressman, Lynda Wells, Julienne Gard, Marilyn Arthur, Barry Brown, etc.
Thank you, Michael Holmes for handling everything perfectly!




MARTINIS ABOVE FOURTH IN SAN DIEGO



Truthfully, we knew no one in SanDiego, but it was a great audience. They and Joely were all crying during a tribute segment. Thank you Martinis Above Fourth



FEINSTEIN'S AT THE NIKKO IN SAN FRANCISCO







We loved it! The audience loved it! Friends came!
And we all were sick from bronchitis, flu, or whatever.
We had a ball!


2 comments:

saruh said...

It was great getting to meet you in San Diego!

Unknown said...

Will Joely be doing any more shows?