Sunday, July 22, 2018

I LOVE COUNTESS LUANN DE LESSEPS-- I WISH HER WELL



LUANN DE LESSEPS HAS BEEN A STANDOUT ON REAL HOUSEWIVES OF NEW YORK FOR YEARS. WE ALL KNOW SHE'S STRUGGLING WITH SOME ISSUES RIGHT NOW, SO, I'D LIKE TO FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE.



Luann made a huge splash in NY with her shows "Countess Luann and Friends" at 54 Below. The incomparable Billy Stritch was her accomanits, arranger conductor. I knew he wouldn't be involved it this weren't real.

"I love her," said Billy. "She's a hard worker, and she's in on the joke. It's all about having fun."

I went to see Luann at Catalina Jazz Club in LA. I went early so I could see the rehearsal. I wanted to see who she really is when cameras are off. For almost two hours I watched a serious, determined person go over every song, all of her pattern, her blocking with each song. She had on glasses and was in a t-shirt and jeans. I was immediately impressed.




Of course, my friend, Jane Monheit, was one of Luann's performing guest artists that night. The toehr were Cheyenne Jackson and Jennie Poulous.


Jane Monheit and conductor Todd Schroeder


Luann sings a few songs here and there, and her patter is very funny. Primarily she is a hostess here and others come on and sing solo and/or she duets with them. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A MORE EXCITED CROWD AT CATALINA. When she made her entrance, they were already standing on chairs screaming, holding their phones, videoing, testing, whatever. It looked like a Beyonce concert. I'm not kidding. the BRAVO crowd is very young and totally in on the camp and enjoying life. She got standing ovations during the show, and by the time she saing, "Money Can't Buy You Class," people were on chair again, including yours truly. What a happening it was. And, each dress or jumpsuit she wore, was more gorgeous than the next.








Luann, you're on a journey and you're not alone. Just take it easy.

No comments: