Wednesday, June 5, 2013

CHERYL SABAN, VIOLA DAVIS AND STUART HOUSE

CHERYL SABAN and VIOLA DAVIS are the co-chairs of the Rape Foundation Capital Campaign for the expansion of Stuart House. This was announced by them at a gathering at Cheryl and Haim's house recently.

Stuart House is an internationally recognized model program created in 1988 by The Rape Treatment Center at Santa Monica-UCLA Medical Center to serve the needs of sexually abused children and their familes. It is an alternative place for victims to go so they don't have to"go through the system"--which is very harsh. It is a welcoming place with doctors and counselors and is extraordinary.

"I was a victim of rape," said Cheryl. "Luckily for me, I was strong, and I survived. Little children aren't. One of four girls and one in six boys are sexually abused. And, 90% of them know their abuser. I am committed to the expansion of this wonderful place so many more children can be helped. We must build away, and Haim and I have given a sum that will build the entire first floor of the building. Please help us finish it."
Cheryl and you-know-who

Donna Antebi, artist Daniele Matalon, Irena Medavoy
Viola Davis


Cheryl's frank and heart-felt speech was echoed in Viola's as well.

"My sister was abused for years. Her life has been extremely difficult," said Viola fighting back tears. "And don't think that I was immune either. Sexual abuse of children has reached gigantic proportions and we must do something. Stuart House is a miracle and I will dedicate myself to this campaign."

It was quite obvious that Viola was very nervous and vulnerable during the speech. It was her first time speaking out in public about her family's personal issues, and I commend her and Cheryl for their bravery.

There wasn't a dry eye in the house. God Bless them and Stuart House.

IF YOU WANT TO HELP, CALL 310-451-0042 or visit www.therapefoundation.org

No comments: