Friday, December 28, 2012

DO THIS FOR HUMANITY AND DIANNE

I HAVE A GUN. I LIKE MY GUN. I AM LICENSED. I GO TO A SHOOTING RANGE TO PRACTICE. I WANT TO KEEP MY GUN. IF AN INTRUDER ENTERS MY HOUSE I'LL SHOOT FIRST AND ASK QUESTIONS LATER.
BUT THE PETITION BELOW IS ABOUT ASSAULT WEAPONS AND BULLET CLIPS. PLEASE SIGN IT AND HELP MAKE THE WORLD A SAFER PLACE.
------SUE
Dear Susan,

There are no explanations for a tragedy like the one that occurred in Connecticut. And there is nothing we can do to bring back the 26 souls lost that day.

But when you add Newtown to an ever-growing list of tragedies that includes Columbine, Virginia Tech, Ft. Hood, Aurora, Tucson, the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin and a shopping mall in Portland, we've reached a point in our national discourse where we can all agree: Enough is enough.

We must do more to protect our children from these senseless acts of violence. Over the coming months, we will have discussions about how to tackle this complicated problem. For my part, I will introduce a ban on assault weapons this coming January. The bill will be introduced in the House, as well.

I want to show how much public support is behind a ban on assault weapons. And for that, I need your help. Click here to sign on your support for a ban on assault weapons right now.

This isn't about taking away anyone's constitutional right to bear arms. This is about removing weapons of war from our businesses, movie theaters and schools.

My bill will be a stronger version of the assault weapons ban that was in effect from 1994-2004. Specifically, my bill will ban the sale, importation, transfer or possession of new assault weapons, and requires background checks and licensing of assault weapons that are currently in circulation. The new bill also bans high-capacity clips, magazines, and strips that can hold more than 10 bullets at a time.

This is a problem that can’t be ignored any longer. Now is the time to act.

Show your support for an assault weapons ban. Click here to sign on today.

Of course, no single piece of legislation will guarantee that there is never another tragedy. But this legislation is just common sense, and an important first step toward preventing an atrocity like Newtown in the future.

And we can get it done.

We can take these deadly weapons off our streets before another community has to suffer.

Support the assault weapons ban today.

Thank you for joining me in this important effort. And I hope you'll continue to keep the families of Newtown in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: