Monday, January 16, 2017

WHY AM I BINGE-WATCHING 'ONE DAY AT A TIME ON NETFLIX?"





YES, PEOPLE, I CAN'T STOP WATCHING THE NEW NETFLIX "ONE DAY AT A TIME COMEDY SERIES.


  • I DIDN'T CARE FOR THE ORIGINAL WITH BONNIE FRANKLIN.
  • I CANT STAND BEAT, BEAT, PUNCHLINE SITCOMS.
  • I CAN'T STAND SITCOMS WITH CHILDREN.


YET, HERE I AM...AND SO SHOULD YOU BE.

This 2017 version, still executive produced by Norman Lear and now with (director) Pam Fryman and with new producers and developers Gloria Calderon Kellett and Mike Royce, is laugh-out loud funny. That hasn't happened to me in years.

Let's talk about stars Justina Machado and Rita Moreno--


I first noticed Justina in "Six Feet Under," and never forgot her. Her acting in that show was gifted and authentic. What a dramatic talent, I thought. Then Justina continued to work in movies and TV, but in "One Day at a Time," she lights your TV screen on fire. What a brilliant comedienne AND, thanks to a deep character and good writing, her dramatic talents are on display as well. And, boy, can she dance!

Now pair that with Rita Moreno an EGOT (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony-winner)..



Rita is an 85-year-old-going-on-20-year-old who has found the part of a lifetime at this age--or almost any age. To watch her is sheer joy. The mother-daughter scenes between Justina and Rita are brilliant, moving, and funny at the same time. Wait til you see her making breakfast. That's all I can say.

As is typical with Norman Lear, who did shows about issues before anyone else, it still happens here, whether it is equal pay or does God exist----but it's sooooo funny.

I also want to mention how much I like the children, played by Isabella Gomez and Marcel Ruiz. They are so good, I might even watch if they had their own show.

So......I am as shocked as you reading this about my love for a 70s sit-com reboot that I never liked before.

And, what's so great, is that I totally forgot that they changed the cast to Latinos. Funny is funny, and that's the whole point.

No comments: