Thursday, November 14, 2013

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BICYCLISTS ON OUR ROADS AND SIDEWALKS



LET ME START BY SAYING THAT I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED BIKES. I THINK THEY HAVE BEAUTIFUL DESIGNS. THEY CAN BE WORKS OF ART. I still remember that Christmas when my parents got me exactly what I wanted---an electric blue Schwinn with fat whitewall tires and a basket on the handlebars. That first ride was thrilling. In fact, I still wish I had that bike. Actually, right this very second I have two jazzy, sleek bikes that I am terrified to ride anywhere on a street or sidewalk.


SQUARE OLD-FASHIONED
Haven't you been driving along nicely in the right lane, and then out of nowhere a bike shoots in front of you and causes you to jerk to the left almost hitting the car in the next lane?

Have you experienced a person riding a bike in front of you on a clear traffic day going about two miles an hour and they prevent you from going around?

What about bikes coming up from behind you on sidewalks?
Some stupid bikers decide to go into traffic and pass on your left. That causes you to almost sideswipe an entire row of cars.



What if it's night and the biker is wearing dark colors with no lights or shiny strips anywhere? It's a miracle I personally haven't killed one of them yet!


DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY THIS STUPIDITY COSTS---HOSPITALS, POLICE, INSURANCE ????? TO SAY NOTHING OF LIVES






I spared you the photo of this kid smashed by a car. Riding trikes in backyard, school or parks is OK, always with adults present


I know that cyclists keep pushing for laws in their favor and getting them. I didn't think they had that large a lobby for politicians to bow to them. BIKES SHOULD BE RIDDEN ON SPECIAL BIKE TRAILS OR AREAS SET ASIDE BY THE CITY OR OUTSIDE CITY BOUNDARIES. THEY SHOULD BE OUTLAWED ON STREETS AND SIDEWALKS. I respect the amateur and professional sport of cycling. They don't practice in traffic!





  • In 2009 the average age of bicyclists killed in crashes with motor vehicles was 41 years, up from 32 years in 1998, and 24 in 1988.
  • 87 percent of those killed were male.
  • 64 percent of those killed were between the ages of 25 and 64; 13 percent of those killed in 2008 were under age 16, down from 30 percent of those killed in 1998.
  • The average age of bicyclists injured in crashes with motor vehicles was 31 years, up from 24 years in 1998.
  • 80 percent of those injured were male.
  • 51 percent of those injured were between the ages of 25 and 64; 20 percent of those injured were under age 16.

No comments: