Tuesday, March 4, 2014

BACKSTAGE AT THE OSCARS



Us

KIM'S BAG IS FROM ASPINAL OF LONDON

Husband Dr. Robert Malloy

This is what it looks like when you first step onto the red carpet. You are in a canvas tunnel and then suddenly there it is.

IT WAS AN AMAZING NIGHT. I WAS IN THE GREEN ROOM MOST OF THE NIGHT, EXCEPT FOR WHEN I WAS IN THE WINGS.

Being with the stars on Oscar night in the secure green room, is an eyewitness view to lots of things. It's kind of like a high school graduation where everybody wants to do well. They are nervous; they let their hair down.  Congratulations to Neil Meron and Craig Zadan. It was a terrific show. Congratulations to Ellen DeGeneres, who also was wonderful. Kim and I saw Ellen and Portia for a second in her dressing room after the show.

I'm just going to put together stories and scenes. Please remember, it's not cool to take pictures back stage. I tried to be as non-invasive as possible. I took no shots in the green room at all.

By the bathrooms: John Travolta's back, his daughter Ella, Diane DeNiro's back, Kerry Washington


Jennifer Lawrence, DeNiro's back, Sally Field
It's also interesting to note how concentrated presenters are before they go on (the pros).
Sally Field and Angelina Jolie were in their own worlds pacing and going over their lines.



Disney/ABC President Anne Sweeney and Oscar EP Neil Maron greet Kim



The pizza was delivered to the green room, too. This one was devoured by Kerry Washington and Jennifer Lawrence. Glenn Close joined them and added another pizza.

Mr. and Mrs. Pitt being led to the audience






Most of the presenters were back stage in the green room before the show. About 35 feet away from the green room were two unisex bathrooms. Since the stars all wanted to go to the bathroom ahead of the long show, that's where they gathered and that's where the fun was.

Robert De Niro tried to cut in front of Kim Novak and she said, "You're behind me!" with a twinkle in her eye.

Then I lost my place in line right up at the front and John Travolta walked in ahead of me. I waited calmly until he was through. He opened the door and walked toward me. I looked at him and said, "Did you clean up after yourself?" I did it deadpan, but he knew I was joking. He answered, "I most certainly did. I washed the floor around the toilet. I did the mirror and the basin." I said, "Good boy." We laughed a lot. He is truly such a nice and warm person.



Then Calista Flockhart came to the head of the line. I was there with her and said, "Bathrooms are the great leveler, no matter where you are." She said, "Yep. It all comes down to pee."


AND NOW COMES THE BEST MOMENT--JENNIFER LAWRENCE. Take a look at the picture below. You will see Lupita N'Yongo talking to Jennifer's boyfriend. Standing in the bathroom door is Jennifer. She was in a hurry to go a few seconds before, and raced to the bathroom. Within seconds, she opened the door and said to everyone in earshot, "Help me. My dress is too tight and I can't go!!!" Her boyfrined rushed in and closed the door.




Angelina Jolie is a favorite of our Senator Dianne Feinstein. I have been on the Senator's Women's Committee for 25 years, so I went over to her and introduced myself and told her how much Dianne admires her and even checks on her charity travels through the State Dept. to see if she's ok. She was so touched that she teared up, took my hand and asked me to give Dianne a message. OK. My night was made.












And God Bless Sally Field.... a real pro who is also sensitive and empathic. Only she, Kim and I were in the wings when Kim was to go on. She took Kim's hands and told her how much she loved her and how thrilled she was to meet her in person. Kim told her she loved her and was just as thrilled. It was a beautiful moment. Then Kim was announced and walked on stage. Sally and I looked at the monitor and immediately noticed she didn't get a standing ovation. Sally said out loud, "C'mon. Stand up! It's a legend." We just looked at each other, silently sharing our thoughts on "Hollywood."

For the second half of the show I hung out in the smoking area of the green room. The roof was open a bit, so the air was available, and hardly anyone smoked. It was like a men's-only locker room. I watched with Daniel Day-Lewis, Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner, Christoph Waltz, and Zac Efron. The guys welcomed me to their "pack." Zac and I kept texting our mutual friend, actress Merrin Dungey. The one I most wished to be available? Christoph Waltz. He and Travolta won my heart.

Oh, yes. Kelly Ripa loved my outfit, and Goldie Hawn and I were so glad to see each other. It's has been a lot of years.

And congratulations to Matthew McConaughey. He was so nervous all night before his award was announced that his hands were like ice. I thank you, and Kim thanks you.
P.S. WE love Camilla


The Governors Ball

The food was delicious, and it was a great place to relax. Kim chatted with Liza, was flattered by Sen. Chris Dodd's attention; loved Wolfgang's sushi and desserts, and then said, "Enough." She chose NOT to go to Vanity Fair or Madonna's. And it shall be so.





No comments: