Monday, October 17, 2016

THE LOST ART OF ENUNCIATION


MY GENERALIZATION----NO ONE UNDER THE AGE OF 30 TODAY KNOWS HOW TO ENUNCIATE.





THAT IS A GENERALIZATION I KNOW, BUT HERE'S AN EXAMPLE OF MY MORNING:


My phone rang and I was connected to a paint store where my order was ready. I asked the young lady to read off my whole order to make sure the colors and finishes were correct. She spoke so quickly, with ABSOLUTELY NO ANNUNCIATION, plus she put the word LIKE in between words for no reason. I stopped her and said, "I need you to start over, slow down and read everything clearly."

Second call---It was a voice mail and the voice said this is (whoever) from  "dsfhjaklahfajrfar." That's what it sounded like. I was curious, so I called the number. A young man answered and said, " This is Hlhjklssasds from Sdjaskdfasdkjh."

I said, "I can't understand a word you said. Start again, speak slowly and please pronounce your words."

He said, "This is Jeff calling from Saks Fifth Avenue."

I guarantee you that it was the first time he was intelligible.


I have a mind to call the GM of Saks in Palm Desert and get him fired. These companies that don't even recognize that their employees must present themselves verbally as professionals need to have training themselves. This is happening everywhere.

I blame the parents and I blame the internet. How could kids learn how to speak or interact with people when they don't have to? They are glued to screens that don't use spoken language.

I am so disgusted.

And, P.S. If you really want to slit your throat, watch the Kardashians or any of their ancillary shows and count the number of "likes" in a sentence. 

------ HOLD ON------

I swear to you, just as I was about to post this, my phone rang. I picked it up. It was an unsolicited call from an American computer company trying to sell me something, only the guy speaking had thick Indian accent, and clearly was not calling from this country.  I hung up on him. I almost took a hammer and smashed my iphone out of frustration.

 

No comments: